12.29.2010

CRAIG SEMETKO: Unposed

Photograph (c) Craig Semetko /All Rights Reserved

Photograph (c) Craig Semetko /All Rights Reserved

Published by teNeues
purchase


Photograph (c) Craig Semetko /All Rights Reserved

"...he is the essential photographer. That is, the one who sees what others could not have seen."–Magnum Photographer Elliott Erwitt

CRAIG SEMETKO: UNPOSED
Jan 14 – Feb 26 2011
Leica Gallery • 670 Broadway/ NYC


"None of the pictures were staged...This requires a great deal of wandering around aimlessly with an empty head–a skill many teachers told me I had a gift for–only now I carry a camera to record all the strange and beautiful things in front of me. I look for the ironies and oddities that cross cultural boundaries and are common to the human condition. I strive to show authentic moments of joy, melancholy, irony—the full spectrum of human experience. To borrow a phrase from Henri Cartier-Bresson, Photography is nothing-it’s life that interests me."– Craig Semetko


7 comments:

kyle cassidy said...

Semetko's the real deal. I first saw his work at the ICP in New York two or three years ago. So many of the photographs looked familiar the first time I saw them -- they seem instantly iconic.

Unknown said...

I am a HUGE fan of Craig Semetko's work- Whatever 'it' is-- he has got it!

Kirigalpoththa said...

Wish you a very happy new year 2011!

Caio Fern said...

hard to choose wich one is more briliant !

Susan May Tell said...

These images are wonderful. Looking forward to seeing the exhibition!

XpatScot said...

Being in the right place at the right time; and recognising the fact; and having the presence of mind and skill to capture it. Bravo !!!

Anonymous said...

The expo @ the Leica gallery NYC is excellent. He's a nice man too, having had a few minutes to chat w him @ the opening.